This blog contains material I wrote and posted on multiply.com between the years 2005 and 2011 only. It does not contain any new material. For newer writing, please check my main blog (Bill the Butcher).


Tuesday 27 November 2012

The Tooth

 (To be sung to the tune of Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer")

I am just a poor tooth and my story’s often told
I’ve erupted through gum and bone
And taken my position
Chewed and bitten, and the food was mostly there…

When I grew from my socket, I was no more than a bud
In the company of saliva
Washed by bacteria, strong and hard
Crushing the food that came my way
Chopping it the way only teeth can know…

La li lai
La li lai lai lalai lai

Asking only to stay healthy, I stayed in the gum, but I got no hygiene
No brushing, no flossing like I was told I should
I do declare, there were times when I was so dirty
Tartar covered me everywhere.

Now the wear and tear has ground me down, the gums have shrunk
I’m stained and discoloured and lost my periodontium
No it isn’t strange, without brushing and flossing this is my state
Caries and all are my fate

La li lai
La li lai lai lalai lai

Suffering sensitivity and pulpitis, and my owner doesn’t care
Till the pain is so intense he’s running everywhere.

Strep mutans lives by tooth decay, and a dentist by his drill
And he cuts away my substance with every rev
Of his tungsten carbide bur
Till my owner screams in pain
“I’m going I’m going while dentine still remains.”

La li lai
La li lai lai lalai lai

No comments:

Post a Comment