This blog contains material I wrote and posted on multiply.com between the years 2005 and 2011 only. It does not contain any new material. For newer writing, please check my main blog (Bill the Butcher).


Friday 12 October 2012

I, too, Anger



It may just be
I have to tell the world I am a man.

That I have blood in my veins
And bones, muscle and sinew.
I breathe, I exist, and when I see injustice
I, too, anger.

When I see my mother my son
Held at gunpoint, my sister raped,
My pregnant wife shot
I, too, anger.

When I see the occupier’s boots crush down on my land
When I see my brother’s blood mix in the sand
I, too, anger.

But when I take up the gun
When I put the enemy on the run
I’m an enemy of the people
And I have no right to anger.

When I fight the men who bomb my town
Who turn our lives upside down
Divide brother against brother
It’s news no longer.

I’m a dead ender, I’m a beast
A child-killing raghead terrorist
And those who would rule over us
Have a right to anger.

It’s time I said I am a man
It’s time I said I will and can
It’s time I said I will shed my blood
But I will prove to the world

That I, too, anger.


Copyright B Purkayastha 2007



No comments:

Post a Comment